Monday 29 December 2008

Monday 29th December 2008

Not much to say (again!). One little snippet is.... Yesterday, David and his friends had organised a cooking competition. They do this kind of thing every few months - the last one was for Lasagne. This one was different, this one was on MY turf.....curries :).

So....I am thinking, SHEESH, this is gonna be a walkover :). First you have to define what a curry actually IS. And its all things to all people...from a mildly spiced stew to something that raises the hairs on the back of your neck. Well, to me, curry means HOT. Hell, its MEANT to be spicy!! A curry is something you and your mates desire after a night in the pub, makes ya sweat a lot, gives you the hiccups, makes your eyes water, and lets you crap through the eye of a needle while sitting on a hot poker (ok, that was a bit crude.....but I couldn't resist :) ).

I also have to point out that one of David's friends is a professional chef!!

Sooo....saturday evening, there I am, chopping and stirring and all the prep work ya do. I am thinking.....this one is gonna be PERFECT! (My curries tend to be a bit ad-hoc - just usually whatever is available ). Now the ESSENCE of a curry is LONG and SLOW cooking so all the bits come together. Well MINE cooked all night (in that magical slow cooker), VERY slowly :). By Sunday afternoon, I was all set to go, while David is still destroying my kitchen (he's the messiest cook I ever met, and I have a THING about clearing up stuff as you go along ).

Finally all is ready....and off he goes bearing HIS contribution, and mine.


At NINE o'clock that night, I still had not heard!! The plonker was supposed to ring me with the results, only got waylaid with Thomas and stuff. Eventually I found out I came second.....beaten by (you guessed it) the professional chef. There's no justice in this world :). (I was all ready to copyright the bloody recipe, too!).


Ah well...............may all those BIASED people get Delhi Belly!! :).

No comments: